Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pride and Prejudice

'Pride and Prejudice' was on last night, and I watched about 3 minutes of it. It's a difficult task, you see, to follow any work of Jane Austen's, but this particular version held my attention for a whole 3 minutes! How is this accomplished, you ask? Three reasons: Keira Knightley, Donald Sutherland and Rosamund Pike. While watching, I realized, finally, why it is that this movie and other similar films bother me: it's a movie about a bunch of gardeners. I don't mean 'gardener' in quite the literal sense, just a metaphor, of sorts: these are people who spend their lives tending to and pruning the family tree. True, it's a fairly lame metaphor, but I don't have anything else. It's true, however, since the entire film focuses on the painfully vain motivations of the main characters to marry, or have their children marry, just the right person. The entire story is about planning weddings. I'd rather watch paint dry!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read the book? I'm assuming you haven't. I find the book has a lot more inner thoughts and reflections that the movie failed to convey. The movie felt like a summary that forgot to include the reasoning, just the main events.
But even still, I don't expect you'd enjoy the book; it is, as you say, mostly about people who do nothing but gossip all day.

FuzzyGamer said...

No, you're right, I haven't read the book. Or any Jane Austen. I've tried to avoid them like the plague. That's probably not very open-minded of me, but I've never been drawn to romance novels particularly.

Anonymous said...

having read both, let me tell you it's significantly better than a modern day romance novel.