Friday, September 29, 2006

Hitchhiker's Guide...

Remember Hitchhiker's Guide? There was a character in one of the books, I think it was in "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish", that was very interesting. He was the god of rain, and it rained wherever he was. It rained his whole life. I suppose if he lived in Arizona and not England he would have picked up on this fact very early on. Or not? Maybe he's the reason that England is England, and if he moved to Arizona, Arizona would be known as the wettest state in the Union. Hmm. Moving on.

This guy saw rain every single minute of his life and he became somewhat of an expert at it. He even assigned each type of rain a number, so he could say that it's a 49 followed by 103 and mean that it's a slight, warm drizzle that turns into a downpour with medium winds.

So, on the way to work, I noted no less than four fog types. There's something about the street that I live on, that in the morning, around 9 am, and at night, around midnight, the fog goes into overdrive and it's a beautiful thing. Today, I saw really dense constant fog, semi-dense variable fog, high fog (at the ground level there is little fog, but higher up it's dense) and wind-driven scarce variable fog. Also, and I'm not sure if this is a different type or whatever, Microsoft campus was completely free of the fog that I encountered on the road. We're higher up than the road I was on, so that could account for it.

No comments: