Sunday, November 12, 2006

Halo

I was playing Halo online today. Quite interesting.

See, in Halo you get to pick a nickname, any nickname. Most people choose names that are dangerous-sounding, like Assassin or Blade. Some people choose stupid names, like YourMama. You've got no idea how many times I've been killed by Your Mama. Then, there are people who choose stupid names that are a play on words. Let me explain: in Halo, when one person is killed by another, a message pops up in the form of "Bob was killed by Sam". Well, some people choose names like "a papercut", so the message looks like "Bob was killed by a papercut". Hmm. Amusing. The first few times you see it. And, finally, there's my nickname: fuzzy. I chose it because it's short, simple, and makes people think of a wimpy player. Think about it: you'd expect a lot from a guy named Scorpion and not so much from someone named Winnie Pooh. So, I went with fuzzy. People don't expect much, but when I start womping their asses like there's no tomorrow, they perk up. It's especially great to see my name in the final battle summary, as having made the most kills. See, the whole theory on this stems from "White Men Can't Jump". Good movie. In there, the white guy says that he's dressed like a sucker, so if he loses, no big deal. On the other hand, when a sucker beats a reigning champion, that is a big deal. Same thing here. Somewhat. That, and I really like "Get Fuzzy", so this is a bit of an homage. Anyhow, to today's game.

Today, we were playing on Infinity, a giant map of canyons shaped like the infinity symbol (rotate the number 8 sideways). In the game there were the usual people with the usual nicknames: "an act of stupidity" ("fuzzy was killed by an act of stupidity"), "Killer", some guy named "Moroni", "Hitler". Usual collection: play on words, a name, and two "scary" nicknames. There was also "IRS". It's funny to see "fuzzy was killed by IRS". Guess I didn't pay my taxes. The best part was that there was also a guy named "OJ". I think the player was going for the scary theme, so he used the name of a killer. :)

No comments: