Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Microsoft is closed

Seriously. The whole Puget Sound campus is shut down because of the weather.

Yesterday I left work at 5 and got hit with some curious hail on the way home. No biggie, the commute wasn't longer than usual. It was weirder, but not longer. Then, around 8, I get a call from Suresh, saying that he can't leave work. Apparently, he's been sitting in the car 15 minutes and hasn't moved an inch. People of Seattle must realize that this is snow and it's nothing to be afraid of.

Today, it's worse. Seems they have no idea that ice on the roads helps melt the snow so that Microsoft can stay open. So, the roads are iced over, half the team has already e-mailed saying they won't be in, while the other half just read the e-mail with the subject "BUILDING NOTICE: CAMPUS CLOSURE" and decided to stay home, playing their Xbox 360's. Which is what I should be doing! That e-mail mentioned a few more things (none of which I hope are corporate secrets):

  • Building lobbies are closed, no receptionists
  • The shuttle service is not operating
  • No mail
  • No food in the cafes (which is the reason that I'm staying here until 2 or 3)
  • Corporate calls are automated. I think this means that I'll get a machine if I try and call to find out about Health Benefits or my stock options.
All because of a bit of ice? True, I lost control of the car twice (for like half a second each time), andI saw one guy trying to go uphill and not making it. He was slowly spinning his wheels and unfortunately slipping down the slope. Whoops. But all those people who have SUV's and Hummers, what is keeping you from work?

Now, the part where I'm pissed off: What the hell is this crap?! I left Chicago only to get Chicago weather in Seattle? Apparently, according to the Verizon Wireless techie who has no idea what she's talking about (in respect to my Treo 700p), this snow is very unusual. Winters are supposed to be 62 degreess, not the 23 that my car says it is. 23!

So far, half my team sent e-mails along the lines of "WFH", working from home, "WAH", work at home, or "OOF", out of office (don't ask me, they tell me that's the acronym and that I should RTFM and STFU). One of the guy was more original: My reindeer are on strike. I think this is the older guy with a white beard, the one I've been internally referring to as Santa.

No comments: