Saturday, January 27, 2007

To hell with tradition

A Jordanian man shot his 17-year old daughter in the head four times because he thought she wasn't a virgin. After she was tested and shown to still be a virgin and he, the father, signed a statement promising not to harm her.

Here's the story.

He did it for "family honor".

To hell with "family honor". To hell with tradition. To hell with religion. 20 women are killed each year in Jordan by their families over similar matters. 20 women! Until recently, Jordanian law was so lenient with "honor" killers that some got a sentence as short as 6 months. 6 months for the murder of a young woman in one's own family. I cannot begin to express the disgust I feel at the traditions, beliefs and general societal norms that lead to this being entirely acceptable and even defended.

I don't have a list of countries I dislike. That's not how I feel. I dislike the actions of groups of people. Aside from the obvious injustices perpetrated by various societies around the world, I mostly object to the reasons for those actions. I don't dislike China. I dislike the Chinese government for their ignorance of basic human rights and outright disrespect of human dignity. I don't dislike India. I dislike the people who, by way of ignorance, tradition or simple sexism, are killing thousands of newborn girls each week. I don't dislike America. I dislike the Americans who, in the name of God and country, tread on the Constitution and consider the Bill of Rights a "list of suggestions". I don't dislike the Church. I dislike the members of the Church who wage war on the unholy masses and in a thinly-veiled attempt at equality try to seed national law and school curriculum with prejudice and intolerance. I don't dislike Jordan. I dislike the society that derives inhuman laws from centuries-old traditions and religious texts. I dislike the society that finds murder more acceptable than dating, all in the name of religion and a higher moral state. What can one say of a society's moral state when murderers are looked up to as the beacons of light amid the dark desert of immorality?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ditto.


Fai.

Suresh said...

I can't agree with you more. Honor killings are common practice in many western countries where "these people" have immigrated too.
No end to stupidity and ignorance.. When will people understand humanity?

FuzzyGamer said...

Which western countries is the concept of "honor killings" common in and who are "these people"?

Suresh said...

The western country I was talking is "England" and "these people" are the ignorant people who commit these heinous crimes.