Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Halo

Ah, yes, good 'ol Halo. The people are being assholes again and there's nothing we can do. I was just kicked from a server because I was using opportunistic strategies. The OP is on blue, I'm on red. When a blue player takes advantage of our portal to score easy head-shots, he's not kicked but warned four times. Something that I rather doubt, but of course OP's are honest and trustworthy. So, now I've parked my tank on a cliff overlooking the blue base and I'm pretty much mowing down anything that tries to get a vehicle. The guy threatens me - "Move or I'm kicking you, asshole!" I move. Continue to kick ass (at this point I am at 90 kills, while most people have less than 30). And then I get kicked. No warning, just a kick. I swear, some of these OP's are the most pissy people I've encountered. A few games back an OP tells me to move my tank cause I'm disrupting the other team's life (OP is on the other team, of course). I respond with "where would you like me to move my tank?" and almost immediately get the boot.
People in Halo seem to be missing the point of running around with guns blazing: this is war, you're trying to kill the other guys and achieve some objective. Using a particular weapon does not make you a NOOB. It mearly suggests you have a preference. Or, here's a wild thought, the weapon is effective and why bother switching strategies? Same thing with vehicles and positions (as in, spawn camping that the other player was doing). I have no objections to a person sticking to a particular gun/vehicle/strategy. For one thing, I do that myself. Second, if a person has a preference for specific vehicles and stratagies, it's easy to find a flaw/weak point and exploit it. Certainly, a person who doesn't move from one spot (the place they spawn-camp us from) is easier to kill because you know exactly where they are. When the player was taking those easy head-shots, I took the long way around and surprised him with another head-shot. The players on the other team could have done that to me. Ambushing a tank is a hell of a lot simpler, considering my response time, rate of reload and lack of options (going over a cliff in a tank isn't as safe as it sounds).

No comments: