Sunday, October 29, 2006

Asian restaurants

This isn't new news, just more observation from the pissed off dude writing this blog: the people who work in New Kowloon Seafood Restaurant are either racists or incompetent. Or both. It took half an hour and about four reminders that I'd like a glass of water! Sad part is that it's not going to change. I'm a white guy going to a Chinese restaurant. They treat the main customers (Chinese people who come back time and time again) really well, and screw the guy in the corner. I've had the same crap pulled on me at Jeem Asian Restaurant on 24th, by Safeway. The second time I went there they stuck me in the corner where the server with the food (I go there for dim sum) had to try harder to come over. It's not that it's impossible to stop by my table, it's just that it's in the corner and tight, so it's basically a one-way street for a Hummer: turning around is out of the question, so back up. So, practically no servers ever stopped by. Not like they ever do. At New Kowloon the servers skip my table and go for the large 8-person parties. Overall, my experience with Asian restaurants leaves me contemplating choosing a new favorite cuisine. If I'm alone, or there are no Asian people with me, or they're the "wrong type" (Chinese people getting Korean BBQ or Japanese people going for dim sum), the service is gonna suck and, in some cases, the quality of the food suffers. What kind of crap is that? I'm white, so I probably don't know good Chinese cooking from Panda Express? And while we're on that, yes, I do eat "fake" Chinese food. I even like it. But when I go to a Chinese restaurant and ask for authentic food, bring me authentic food just like you would if I asked you in Chinese, and don't ask me "Are you sure you want that?" Yeah, I know, most people order the orange chicken. They're entitled to make bad choices. I'm not them. So bring me those pig tongues!

No comments: