Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Wikipedia

There are ways of marking articles in the Wikipedia as "biased" or "needing clarifications" or "needing references" and others. I wish there was a "de-Asian-ify" flag.

Dim sum - Wikipedia article

Read the first paragraph and tell me who wrote the article. Yeah, a Chinese person with a Chinese-English dictionary.

Normally, I don't care who writes an article. Because you usually can't tell. And, while this article is well-done and is very informative, the style is clearly different from a similar article written about high tea.

High tea - Wikipedia article

The purpose of all those flags is to make the Wikipedia be a uniform, homogeneous body of knowledge. Articles that are biased, not well written, exhibiting different reference models or particular styles should be modified to conform to particular standards.

That, and it bugs me to be reading Chinese translated (badly) into English. I mean, look at the following segment from the dim sum article:

Dim sum is a Chinese light meal or brunch served with Chinese tea. It is eaten some time from morning to early afternoon with family or friends.


With "family or friends"? You don't say. I was gonna invite that asshole from corporate affairs so we could talk smack while enjoying chicken feet. Oh, and I was gonna stick him with the bill.


Also, while we're on the subject of Wikipedia, I found a new Wiki that is quite awesome. The Wookieepedia! Link. It's the Wikipedia for Star Wars, named Wookieepedia because of the name similarities.

No comments: