Sunday, October 29, 2006

Seattle and then some

Contradictory to most of the world, today I found out that Seattle is the sunny city. Leaving from Redmond, it was raining. Not buckets, not drizzle, somewhere in the middle. The closer I got to Seattle, more blue skies and less rain. Later, on my way back, just as I turn off from I-5 to get on the 520, it starts raining like before. And I wish I had my camera with me! Oh, and a few extra hands to drive and take pictures at the same time. I was on the 520 bridge, the one that spans the water, and it was like sitting in the middle of Armageddon: on the right side, blue skies, sunny weather; on the left side, rain pouring down and it's pretty dark. The rain looked absolutely amazing, since it's over water and it makes this really strange edge where on one side it's calm water and just a bit over there's this strong rain coming down and this mist holding just above the surface.

Actually, today there were lots of opportunities for great photos. Mostly thanks to the rain. Ever seen a rainbow following a car? It actually keeps up, even though it doesn't have legs. It has to be like this: the sun is on the left, you're in the left lane and ahead and to the right of you there's the target car; the road has to be pretty wet and the car has to be going fast to kick up a fair-sized mist. The mist catches the sun and you see this mini rainbow, following right behind the car. Gorgeous!


Oh, and this is entirely off-topic, but this is the funniest picture I have ever seen: link.

No comments: