Monday, October 16, 2006

Heinlein

Now I sorta know how some religious people feel when they read their religious books. I say some, because (a) you have to actually read the book and (b) you have to actually believe, truly believe, not just pretend to believe, what the book is saying.

Reading Heinlein is like reading a book of quotations. With a story in between. But the quotes are incredibly poignant and I agree with most of what he is saying.

Here are a couple I just got from a few consecutive pages:

Books are meant to be read and loved, not stored.

But in general Father says that anything two - or more - people want to do is all right as it does no physical harm. He felt that the words 'moral' and 'immoral' were ridiculous when applied to sexual relations.

So as far as I know, there are no organized religions in Boondock, or anywhere on Tellus Tertius [Far future]. Question: Is this an inevitable evolutionary development as mankind approaches true civilization? Or is that wishful thinking?


I agree wholeheartedly with all three of the quotes:
  • The last thing I want is my books to be stuck in some bookshelf, never being taken out and read, after I'm gone. I just have these depressing thoughts that when I die, all my books, all of these things that made me so happy are going to be tossed out, destroyed or, even worse, forgotten.
  • Truly, why should people concern themselves with the lives of others when there is no harm being done to anyone? What do you care that some guy down the street from you enjoys weed? Or has a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend. Or spends his Sundays sleeping in his bed rather than in a pew in your church.
  • Religion will die out. Someday. Most likely, though, it will be too late and religion will die with the last of mankind.
Don't read Heinlein if you're real close-minded. Stick to the Bible.

No comments: